Forums » Seniors & Retirees


Property tax break for seniors???

    • 13 posts
    November 15, 2015 9:32:51 PM PST

    Hi All, 


    Does anyone know if seniors get a break on their property taxes in Sacramento?  I thought that I heard we could call somewhere and avoid Mello-Roos taxes in Elk Grove as seniors.


    Thanks for any help.


    Richard W.

    • 803 posts
    November 16, 2015 8:51:30 AM PST
    You can't avoid Mell-Roos if it is on your property, but what you can get is a reduction in the school tax portion if you have no school-age children living in your home and you are a senior. It's about $70 a year. Call the Elk Grove School District office.
    • 836 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:41:48 AM PST
    The following is a “Tax Reduction Notice” from the Sacramento Bee on 4/13/15--- I’m sure the same applies for 2016.

    For Senior Citizens/Disabled Persons Residing in the Elk Grove Unified School District
    Voters in the EGUSD approved the Community Facilities District No. 1 Bond Election and a special tax to pay for the bonds. The special tax provides that a property owner/occupant who resides in the EGUSD and is 65 years or older (as of July 1) or disabled, as defined by the State Controllers Office, may receive a reduction in the residential tax rate if student-age children do no reside with them.

    To Qualify For The Reduction
    A property owner or renter shall have the option of applying for a Senior Citizen/Disabled Person Tax Reduction, which would allow the school tax to be reduced by 70% for each qualified dwelling unit, if:

    • The property owner shows evidence that the dwelling unit is occupied by a citizen that is at least 65 years of age or fully disabled.
    • The applicant shows evidence of ownership of the property.
    • The applicant shows evidence that student-age (grades K-12) children did not reside in the dwelling unit during the previous 24 months.
    The reduction is allowed only for the residence in which the applicant resides; all others are subject to the full tax.

    If the applicant rents his or her home or resides in a mobile home park, the landlord/owner must certify that the entire reduced tax will be reflected in the rent for the exempted dwelling unit(s).

    YOU MUST RENEW YOUR STATUS EACH YEAR (Those currently receiving this tax reduction will receive a renewal reminder notice in the mail)

    THE FILING PERIOD FOR THE TAX REDUCTION IS APRIL 15, 2015, TO JUNE 30, 2015 (I’m sure same dates apply to 2016)

    Applications and qualification details for the Senior Citizen or Disabled Person Tax Reduction may be obtained in person or by writing, phoning, or emailing:

    Elk Grove Unified School District
    Facilities and Planning
    9510 Elk Grove-Florin Road, Room 206
    Elk Grove, CA 95624
    Telephone: (916) 686-7562; Email:
    • 176 posts
    November 17, 2015 5:28:03 AM PST
    Good to know. Thanks!
    • 803 posts
    November 17, 2015 9:13:35 AM PST
    csgutz--Thanks for posting this. I've been getting my reduction every year, but the important thing to remember is that they don't renew it automatically. You have to re-file every year but you can call and do it by phone. Easy peasy!
    • 587 posts
    November 17, 2015 11:01:34 AM PST
    csguts, you beat me to posting the same info, thank you! And IrvineLady is correct about annual renewals.
    • 13 posts
    November 17, 2015 11:21:38 AM PST
    Thanks everyone, for the very good replies. I have the answer that I was looking for. So next April 15 I will call and inquire as csgutz article/post suggests. elkgroveonline is a great resource. Thanks again.